If Lockdown has taught us anything, it's the importance of home.
It's your safe space, the place where you lay your head down and a representation of your identity, maybe even your creative or practical outlet. It's a part of you.
What makes a home? It certainly is much more than the concrete and much less the material possessions, but more about the sentimentality and the moments shared by good friends and family. Being inside someone's home is an insight into their life.
The VVS team have all been working from home during the pandemic and we've compiled a journal of how we've been taking advantage of spending more time at everyone's most treasured place...home.
We'd love to hear from you, drop us a comment below on what has been your saving grace during this time at home - we'd love to to share it with the rest of the VVS community.
Reminder to listen to the latest episode of Wind Yer Neck In, we are proud to sponsor another episode and are currently running a give-away. Check our Instagram page for more details on how to enter.
"We make the boots, You make the memories."
The VVS Team
In the last few months home has turned into the gym, your office and even taken on the shape of your local pub or restaurant. A few of our best pleasures to enjoy at home.
- Home workout - Class Pass, Londers might be familiar with this platform allowing members to attend classes all across London at various studios . Since the pandemic this fitness phenomenon have migrated to a fully virtual platform. Ever wanted to try a live workout in New York - now you can. This culture of workout is likely to continue post-lockdown, making it a great option for anyone, no matter where you are based.
- Restaurant at home- Nonna Tonda is a husband-and-wife operated small business. The pasta is made fresh every morning...it doesn't get much better than that! A decent portion and the option of veggie or meat/fish and packaged to fit through your letterbox, Nonna Tonda (plump grandma in Italian) offers you restaurant quality pasta at home. Oh and it's super speedy, ready in 5mins. Highly recommended. London only for the moment.
- Creating that homey feel - what better time than now to spruce your home up a little. Redecorating can sometimes be overwhelming with so many options and choices to properly confuse you. Topology offer an online/virtual interior designing service which is ideal for the current climate. They charge a fixed rate per room but the ultimate benefit is the discount they get at most retailers, which makes it completely worth it.
- Read - Red Notice, a real-life political thriller about an American financier in the Wild East of Russia, the murder of his principled young tax attorney, and his dangerous mission to expose the Kremlin's corruption. Phenomenal true story, it's a good one to sink your teeth into.
- Watch- The Test: A New Era for Australia's Team, available on Prime Video. This docu-series follows the Australian Men's Cricket Team, offering a behind-the-scenes look at how one of the world's best cricket teams fell from grace and was forced to reclaim their title and integrity. Crikey it's a ripper!
- Listen - Look on the bright side - a podcast that aims to shine a spotlight on some seriously good causes, including 'Look After' – an initiative connecting professionals who may be furloughed or out of work, with charities or companies that need their help. Now, more than ever, it's important that we all take a moment to look on the bright side to help us through the ongoing coronavirus crisis by sharing the good news-stories to put a smile on your face and help remind us that there is good in the world.
Happy Hour at Home
When you can't tuck into a pub for a tipple, here are a few alternatives that will quench your thirst.
- Take Away Pints - this well-crafted website has a map of the UK and will tell you exactly where you can get a beer for the road. One of the customs we hope becomes the norm post-lockdown. This is the kind of activity we envisioned when we created the VVS brand - happy spirits, pure intentions and good friends.
- Flaviar- the only bar you can visit these days, the one at home. Not bad at all if you're stocked up with the good stuff. This spirit squad will send you one tasting box and one full bottle per quarter, with the aim to try new things more often. We can definitely get behind that. Great gift for your old man on Father's Day.
- Cap Classique - this company imports Method Cap Classique (MCC) from South Africa. MCC is made through the same method as Champagne, but is named differently due to it not being from France. It tastes very similar (if not better, in our opinion) at a fraction of the price. Delivering to your door, you'll soon be stockpiling this South African well kept secret.
Nothing quite like a home cooked meal
When GJ arrived from South Africa in the UK, he had very little knowledge about cooking. For the first time in his life he had to cook for himself full time. Through this he developed a deep passion for cooking and what it represents - hosting family and friends at his home, bringing people together. Graham and GJ have cultivated this feeling within the VVS team and we love getting together for a good old fashioned braai (BBQ). With the recent lockdown announcement, we hope the following recipes will serve you and your pod well.
Braai-broodjies - Jan Braai is quite a legend in South Africa. He's a laidback lad that has some serious braai-tricks in his back pocket. Braai-broodjies is a South Africa staple and every family has their own secret of making the perfect one. "What is it?" you ask. Well, it's basically a toastie made on an open fire, served as a side. But the truth is, it is so much more than that. Ask any South African. Top tip: make extra - brilliant breakfast for the next day
Pork Belly Bao buns - the ultimate comfort food. This recipe from Marion's Kitchen delivers soft, fluffy and light buns every time. For the filling we love this pork belly recipe but a Portobello mushroom would also hit the spot. This is what you make for the people you love. So good!
Bay-crumbed salmon with creamed spinach & wild mushrooms - In GJ's words: 'if I can, anyone can!' This delicious salmon dish is one of GJ's go-to-recipes. Not only is it super easy to make, but a healthy-ish treat. Perfect for when you have guests over or for a cozy date-night at home.